We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
We entrepreneurs are notorious for not taking care of ourselves physically. We burn the candle at both ends, getting up before the crack of dawn and staying up late. We skip breakfast, grab fast-food for lunch, and eat packaged food for dinner. We drink more than we should of coffee or other sweet drinks. And as for exercise, we say we don’t have time. Maybe I’m not speaking for all of us, but I know of a great many for whom this is true.
But here’s the thing: we only get one body!
We can only neglect and abuse our bodies for so long before we start paying for it. And when I say, “paying for it,” I mean in many more ways than just physically or financially.
Let’s discuss this in practical terms.
5 Things a Healthy Body Can Do for You
- A healthy body gives you more energy to work more efficiently.
- A healthy body helps you think more clearly.
- A healthy body makes you look and feel better.
- A healthy body protects you from touches of flu, colds, and other diseases.
- A healthy body provides you and your loved ones more years to enjoy.
5 Healthy Habits for Entrepreneurs
1. Get enough sleep.
Medical professionals warn us that most Americans don’t get enough sleep. I’ve heard people (especially entrepreneurs) brag about how little they sleep, claiming they can get by on four or five hours per night. This is crazy!
Studies confirm that adults need between 7 and 9 hours of good sleep each night. Here are some ways to help you do that:
- Stick to a consistent schedule.
- Establish a bedtime routine that’s conducive to sleeping, like reading before going to bed.
- Don’t eat or drink excessively or too late.
- Create the ideal sleep environment for you: dark, cool, quiet room, etc.
- Exercise regularly. Exercise promotes a good night’s sleep.
Related post: My Top 17 Suggestions for a Good Night’s Sleep
2. Establish a healthy eating plan.
Here again, we Americans typically eat way too much food, and we eat the wrong foods. Below are some pointers to eat healthily:
- Take time to create a meal plan and shop accordingly.
- Eat whole, fresh foods: meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, etc.
- To the extent possible, eat three meals a day at regular times.
- Eat until you’re satisfied, but not stuffed.
3. Drink lots of water.
Once again, the medical community tells us that many of us are dehydrated. Dehydration depletes our energy and hinders clarity of thought. Try these tips:
- Drink at least eight glasses of water per day.
- Limit your coffee and tea consumption.
- Don’t drink alcohol every day, and when you do drink, don’t drink to excess.
4. Exercise regularly.
A regular exercise routine can help you: sleep better, digest food better, drink more water, give you more energy, and improve the way you look and feel. Here some tips for exercising:
- Engage in one or more exercises that you enjoy.
- Choose exercises that fit your schedule and lifestyle.
- Exercise at least three times per week for at least 30 minutes.
5. Take time regularly to rest and recharge.
A routine of relaxation is as vital to your health and energy as a good night’s sleep. By taking a day off, you’ll find that you become more productive in your work. Try these suggestions:
- Establish one day a week to be your day of rest.
- Plan your rest day ahead of time and design it to be a day you look forward to.
- Don’t engage in any of your usual business work on your rest day.
- Spend your rest day with loved ones.
Related Post: Why Self-Care for Bloggers is So Important
As entrepreneurs, we work ourselves hard. We work long hours. We push ourselves. We’re driven. We’re task-oriented. We’re desperate to see our business grow and succeed. And with all that focus on our business, it’s easy to neglect our bodies. And when we neglect our physical health, inevitably our business and everything else dear to us suffers.
If you want to breathe new life into your business, take care of your body. After all, you only get one body!
Please share this post if you found this helpful.
Join the Blog with Stephanie Community and Get Access to the Resource Library!
Get your self-care checklist in the resource library so you can blog at your best!